POSTING TO THE LIST
For the GACDL listserv, send an email to email@example.com. For the GACDLCJA listserv, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Every member of the listserv will receive your email.
Initially, message delivery is automatically set to Immediately, such that each message is sent individually. If receiving individual messages (the list averages 25-30 messages per day) is not desirable, change your settings to Daily Digest such that an entire day’s messages are bundled into a single email.
CHANGE YOUR SETTINGS
Gaggle is very user-friendly. You can view Gaggle’s quick start guide here.
You can change the email address where you receive listserv messages or change message delivery settings. The delivery options include: Immediately (each message is sent individually), Daily Digest (all messages from a day are bundled together and sent once), or Pause (stop receiving messages, useful when a member goes on vacation). To make changes, visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right-hand corner, and select "your profile." To change your delivery, on the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings under When to receive messages. To change your email address, click on the “change” bar below your email address.
SEARCHING ARCHIVED MESSAGES
Log in here to access archived messages. Messages from the many years that the listserv was hosted at YahooGroups as well as messages posted to Gaggle can be searched.
If you aren't sure why you're on the listserv, or if you have any questions about how it works, you can contact the listserv administrator here (email@example.com).
GACDL Listserv Policy
1) Membership: The members of the GACDL Listserv will consist of members of the GACDL. In extraordinary cases, non-GACDL members will be included on a case-by-case basis as approved by the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
2) Permitted Discussions: The GACDL Listserv is a resource solely for questions and answers pertaining to the practice of, or discussions about, criminal defense, and announcements by the GACDL staff to its members; provided, however, that members seeking political office may post a message announcing their own candidacy and members can acknowledge a GACDL candidate’s election results. Recognizing that members come from diverse backgrounds and have a wide variety of political beliefs, posting messages of support for political candidates for any office or any party is not permitted. Please confine personal “soapbox” type opinions to your own website, blog, or mailings. As in all professional settings, your posts should avoid religious or sexual references, and should avoid political references except as authorized in this paragraph. Posts on the listserv should benefit members’ practices and their clients’ matters. Posts that do not effectuate those ends should be avoided.
Questions about non-criminal defense law practice are allowed but are considered off-topic. These questions may be posted to the Listserv with a subject line beginning with OT (off-topic). All replies to these off-topic posts must be sent directly to the originator of the message thread, and not to the entire Listserv. Please be sure to reply to off-topic posts by choosing "reply," rather than "reply all."
Topics unrelated to the practice of law are prohibited.
3) Forwarding/Dissemination of Messages: To protect the integrity of the Listserv and its members, do not disseminate any listserv message to anyone outside of GACDL without express permission of all authors.
4) Personal Affronts: The use of personal insults, scornful language, disparaging, defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, or offensive remarks in posts are strictly prohibited on the GACDL Listserv.
5) Signatures: Each Listserv message must be signed with at least the first and last names of the author, and their email address. An email signature that provides telephone contact information for the author is preferred. Click here to learn how to create a signature on your messages. Additionally, a concise and accurate Reference line helps our readers, so please draft yours carefully.
Members who violate this policy which result
s in complaints to GACDL staff, the Listserv Administrator, or GACDL Technology Chair are subject to immediate moderation by a Listserv administrator and will remain on moderation while the issue is under review.
The Listserv Committee and the Executive Director will review the actions and complaints. The Listserv Committee will vote on whether a violation has occurred, and decide upon any necessary sanctions, including, but not limited to, suspension of listserv privileges, moderation, and removal from the listserv. Violators may be subject to further sanctions by the Executive Committee or the Board of Directors of the GACDL.
By joining the GACDL Listserv you agree to abide by these policies. If you have questions about this policy, please contact Jill Travis (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 404-248-1777. If you do not agree with this policy, please do not participate in the GACDL Listserv.
Please note that this GACDL Listserv Policy is emailed directly to all subscribers on the GACDL Listserv as part of the welcome message on the first day of their subscription to the listserv and monthly.
Answers to Common Questions About the Listservs
1. Receiving too many messages? (Adjusting your message delivery settings)
The GACDL listserv can average 25-30 messages each day. If this is too many messages, it is a simple matter to adjust the message delivery do Daily Digest and get only 1 message per day. Message delivery settings include Immediately (each message is sent individually), Daily Digest (all messages from a day are bundled together and sent once), or Pause (stop receiving messages, useful when a member goes on vacation). Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile." On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings under When to receive messages.
2. Going on vacation and returning from vacation?
If you wish to stop receiving GACDL listserv messages temporarily, such as when you are going on vacation. Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile."
On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen adjust delivery settings to Pause under When to receive messages.
When you return from vacation, you can restore message delivery to either Individual or Daily Digest by following the above instructions and selecting the desired message delivery setting.
3. Changing your email address for GACDL listserv messages?
If you wish to change your email address for GACDL listserv messages. Visit Gaggle here and sign in. On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen select "Edit" beneath your current email address. Type in your new email address and select "Save."
4. How can I use multiple "alias" email addresses?
Do you have several email addresses and want to be able to send listserv messages from any of these addresses but only receive messages from one of these email addresses? This is where member alias addresses come in. Just visit Gaggle here, sign in, click your name in the right hand corner, and select "your profile." On the left side of the screen select "My Details" and on the right side of the screen add the new email addresses under Alternate email address.
5. How do I set up my Gaggle account?
Click on the link in the welcome email to set up your account. If you cannot find the welcome email, go to Gaggle, click sign-in at the top of the page, and select "forgot password."
6. How do I post messages to the GACDL listserv?
To post a message to the GACDL listserv send your message to email@example.com. For posting to the GACDLCJA listserv, send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. I no longer have access to my subscribed email account, what should I do?
If you have lost access to your subscribed email account (example, you’ve forgotten your password and cannot read messages, or were previously signed up with a Yahoo email but had your messages forwarded), email the listserv administrator with your new email address (that you do have access to) by clicking here (email@example.com).
8. I have stopped receiving listerv messages. What should I do?
First, be sure that you are using your subscribed email address and check all your spam folders to ensure that your messages are not being sent to those folders.
Second, ensure that you are subscribed with the correct email address. Visit Gaggle here and sign in. On the left side of the screen select "My Details." Make sure you are subscribed with the correct email address. If you need to change the email address, look on the right side of the screen and select "Edit" beneath your current email address. Type in your new email address and select "Save."
Third, try using the whitelisting kit below. This explains how to whitelist the group address so that your email server does not block the messages.
• iPhone of iPad: